Makar Sankranti is a Hindu festival that is celebrated on the day that the Sun enters the sign of Capricorn in the Hindu zodiac. It is a time to honor the Sun god, Surya, and to pay respects to one’s ancestors. There are a number of activities that people may participate in to celebrate Makar Sankranti, depending on their beliefs and traditions.
Some possible activities include:
- Offering prayers to the Sun god and to one’s ancestors: This may involve making offerings of flowers, incense, and food to the gods and lighting candles or lamps in their honor.
- Participating in religious rituals and ceremonies: Many people attend special prayers or ceremonies at their local temple or other religious sites on Makar Sankranti.
- Flying kites: It is a time when many people enjoy flying kites, which is thought to symbolize the rising of the Sun and the start of a new year.
- Sharing sweets and food with friends and family: Makar Sankranti is a time for celebrating with loved ones, and people often exchange sweets and other foods as a sign of goodwill.
- Donating to charity: Some people choose to donate to charities or engage in other acts of generosity on Makar Sankranti as a way of honoring their ancestors and seeking blessings for the new year.
According to the Astrology point of View
In astrology, Makar Sankranti is thought to mark the beginning of a new astrological year and the start of the sun’s journey through the sign of Capricorn. It is believed to be a time of new beginnings and a chance to set goals for the year ahead. Uttaryana Puliyakam (Uttarayana Punyakalam) is a Hindu ritual that is traditionally performed on Makar Sankranti (Uttarayana), which marks the day when the sun enters the zodiac sign of Makara (Capricorn) and begins to move northwards. The ritual involves preparing a traditional dish made of sesame seeds, jaggery, and other ingredients. The dish is then offered to the sun god as a form of worship. It is believed that by offering this dish, one can attain blessings and prosperity in the coming year.
Makar Sankranti, also known as Uttarayana, is the Surya Kranti which marks the day when the sun enters the zodiac sign of Makara (Capricorn) and begins to move northwards. This is also known as the sun’s transition from the southern hemisphere to the northern hemisphere and it signifies the end of the winter solstice and the beginning of longer days. Surya Kranti is believed to be an important moment in the Hindu calendar, as it is said to have an impact on one’s fortunes, health, and overall well-being. Astrologers use this moment to make predictions and to advise people on auspicious times for making important decisions and taking significant steps in their lives.
Some astrologers may recommend that people take advantage of the energies of Makar Sankranti to make positive changes in their lives or to start new projects.
Some Specific Astrological Guidance for Makar Sankranti Might Include:
- Reflecting on the past year and setting intentions for the year ahead. Makar Sankranti is a good time to look back on the previous year and think about what you would like to accomplish in the coming year.
- Focusing on career and professional goals. The energies of Makar Sankranti are thought to be particularly helpful for making progress in your career or for setting and working towards professional goals.
- Seeking guidance from a trusted astrologer. An astrologer can help you understand how the energies of Makar Sankranti might impact your specific astrological chart and provide guidance on how to make the most of this time.
- Engaging in activities that align with the energies of Makar Sankranti. These might include setting goals, making positive changes in your life, and seeking new opportunities.
It is typically a time when people give gifts and make donations to those in need. Here are some tips for charity based on your zodiac sign what to donate and where to donate. The following donation should be made in Sankranti will be good for you.
ARIES: Donate Jaggery sweet, peanuts, & sesame with gur (jaggery) in Shelters, and in children’s charities.
TAURUS: Donate Rice, Curd, White cloth, & sesame seed sweets to the Foodbank, and animal rescue.
GEMINI: Donate Rice, blankets white & green, & Moong dal in the School/library, and literacy program.
CANCER: Donate Silver, white sesame, or camphor to a Hospital/nursing home, and cancer research charity.
LEO: Donate Copper, & Wheat sesame sweets to Children’s hospitals, and animal rescues.
VIRGO: Donate Green colored blankets, & khichdi (rice & dal) to a Thrift store/charity, and to people in need.
LIBRA: Donate Sugar, white cloth, or kheer or camphor to the Community center, and education charity.
SCORPIO: Donate Red cloth or sesame to Shelter, people in need.
SAGITTARIUS: Donate Yellow cloth or golden articles (patina) to the Foodbank, or animal rescue.
CAPRICORN: Donate Black blankets, black sesame, or tea to Schools/libraries, and literacy program.
AQUARIUS: Donate Khichdi, sesame seeds, or rajma to a Hospital/nursing home, and healthcare charity.
PISCES: Donate Silk cloth, chickpeas, lentils, or sesame to Children’s hospitals, and animal rescue.